JOB TITLE: Parks and Recreation Coordinator
WORK TEAM LEADER: YES
LOCATION: TAMALPAIS VALLEY, MILL VALLEY, CA 94941
TYPE: FULL TIME; NON-EXEMPT; ELIGIBLE FOR OVERTIME; SALARY DEPENDS ON EXPERIENCE
REPORTS TO: GENERAL MANAGER OR ASSISTANT GENERAL MANAGER
SHIFT: 8AM-4:30PM M-F, eligible for flex with General Manager’s approval
PURPOSE: TCSD is responsible for sanitation, solid waste, and parks and recreation services for the Tam Valley area; population approximately 10,000. The Recreation Coordinator should be self-motivated, flexible, and organized. This position oversees and implements well-loved and visible recreational programs for TCSD’s tight-knit community.
The Recreation and Parks Coordinator is under the supervision of, and reports to, the General Manager or Assistant General Manager. This position is responsible for a robust set of recreational offerings for TCSD, which is an independent local government agency. Recreation events include a concert series/community event every Friday evening during the summer, seasonal events including Oktoberfest, Spooky Cruise, Santa Walk, nature programs, etc. The Recreation and Parks Coordinator creates and distributes promotional materials including but not limited to electronic and paper newsletters, fliers, postcards, and banners. In addition, the Recreation Coordinator preforms limited construction project management for projects such as new playground equipment in TCSD’s two developed parks, kitchen refurbishment in Community Center or Cabin rental facility, park fence re-construction, tennis court repainting, etc.
The Recreation Coordinator recruits, trains, and oversees approximately 50 volunteers, and a few entry level paid staff, that are needed for recreation programs. The Recreation Coordinator ensures these services are provided in a safe, courteous, efficient manner in compliance with State and Federal regulations and District policies. The Recreation Coordinator must provide excellent customer service to internal and external customers and conduct themselves in a professional, courteous manner with the public, the District Board Members, District Commissions, fellow employees, contractors, and vendors.
The work environment involves District offices and outdoor spaces that are not air conditioned. The Recreation Coordinator may be exposed to various levels of noise, vibrations associated with trucks and other machinery, uneven and/or steep terrain, plants, insects, and animals normally associated with Marin County. They may also be exposed to various odors on site.
• Plans, organizes, promotes, facilitates and coordinates regularly scheduled activities, programs, parks and facilities rentals, classes, special events, fundraisers and services;
· Researches current and anticipates future recreation trends;
· Recruits, trains, provides technical/functional supervision, and evaluates subordinate staff and volunteers; exercises oversight of facilities and staff; maintains relationships with outside contractors;
· Evaluates program effectiveness and provides recommendations for improvement or modification; assists in the development and implementation of program goals and objectives, policies, procedures and work;
· Prepares and maintains records and reports on activities;
· Prepares, administers, and presents budget for area of responsibility;
· Pursues program sponsorship;
· Actively networks, creates partnerships, and collaborates with internal and external agencies and organizations to develop community recreation programs, activities and events;
· May staff a Parks and Recreation Committee;
· Addresses customer needs and issues, and is responsive to both internal and external customers in a courteous manner;
· Project manage limited construction projects for recreation facilities and parks.
GENERAL EXPECTATIONS AND CUSTOMER SERVICE
· Interacts cordially with fellow employees, Board Members, Commissioners and the public
· Maintains electronic and paper files as required for records retention and communication
· Completes assignments in an efficient, timely, and effective manner
· Performs other related duties as required
- Ability to lift 35lbs, turn, twist and shift, such as during event equipment set up and removal
- Functional experience with Google Docs, Windows, Microsoft Office Suite, social media
- Able to complete daily responsibilities and simultaneously manage long-term projects
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Strong interpersonal communication skills and customer service oriented
- Thorough knowledge of the English language. Ability to communicate well verbally and in writing with the public and fellow employees
- Bachelor’s degree
- Ability to follow instructions
- Ability to speak clearly and distinctly
- Ability to think clearly, thoroughly and objectively
- Ability to problem solve
- Ability to assist customers by achieving mutual understanding
SALARY DEPENDS ON EXPERIENCE WITHIN THE RANGE OF $64,000 to $80,000 ANNUALLY, WITH BENEFITS. POSITION OPEN UNTIL FILLED, FIRST REVIEW OF RESUMES AND COVER LETTERS DECEMBER 13, 2021. SEND YOUR RESUME AND COVER LETTER TO INFO@TAMCSD.ORG.
FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT TCSD, PLEASE VISIT OUR WEBSITE AT WWW.TAMCSD.ORG.Recreation Coordinator 20211004.pdf