Sanitation and Maintenance Worker
JOB TITLE: Sanitation & Maintenance Worker
WORK TEAM LEADER: NO
LOCATION: TAMALPAIS VALLEY, MILL VALLEY, CA 94941
TYPE: FULL TIME; NON-EXEMPT; ELIGIBLE FOR OVERTIME
REPORTS TO: Superintendent of Wastewater & Facilities
SHIFT: 7:00am-3:30pm, or as determined by Division Head
PURPOSE: TCSD is responsible for sewer pumping services. The Sanitation & Maintenance Worker helps provide maintenance and repairs for all sewers in the District of Tam Valley, as well as for the District’s fleet of vehicles, equipment and facilities. The position is also backup for refuse service when refuse workers are absent.
GENERAL DESCRIPTION: The Sanitation & Maintenance Worker is under the supervision of, and reports to, the Superintendent of Wastewater & Facilities. The Sanitation & Maintenance Worker is responsible for all sewer activities, District facilities maintenance and repair, and equipment maintenance and repair. The position has a “24/7” on-call component for emergencies. The Sanitation & Maintenance Worker is also backup/fill-in personnel for the Refuse Division.
The work environment involves work bays, District facilities and office and shop areas in buildings that are not air conditioned. Other work environments include outdoors in streets, right-of-ways, easements, on private properties, public dumps, landfill sites, and a fenced corporation yard.
The Sanitation & Maintenance Worker may be exposed to various levels of noise and vibrations associated with trucks and other machinery. They may also be exposed to various odors, fumes, sludge, refuse, solid and liquid waste, dust, dirt and allergens.
The sewer services, maintenance and repair services and the refuse and disposal services are provided in a safe, courteous, efficient manner in compliance with State and Federal regulations and District policies. The Sanitation & Maintenance Worker is responsible for excellent customer service and customer satisfaction in the areas of sewer services, maintenance and repair services and the refuse collection and disposal services.
The Sanitation & Maintenance Worker conducts themselves in a professional, courteous, business-like manner with the public, the District Board members, District Commissions, fellow employees, contractors, and vendors. The Sanitation & Maintenance Worker behaves in an ethical manner with integrity and honesty, is an example to others and displays loyalty to the District and supports its mission and vision.
· Schedule vehicle and equipment for maintenance and repairs.
· Perform or contract out for sewer repair, hydro flushing, smoke testing, televising and locating lines.
· Inspect all sewer connections for new construction, remodels and upgrades.
· Inspect sewer lines for stoppages, leaks, breaks, overflows, inflow and infiltration.
· Inspect grease traps and compliance with District regulations for commercial units.
· Maintain in good working order pumps, motors, generators, meters and monitors.
· Remove graffiti from District property.
· In the absence of the Superintendent of Wastewater & Facilities, may issue permits and place holds and releases on all projects requiring District approval, sign-off or concurrence.
· Work closely with County, Regional, State and Federal officials.
· Perform pavement markings for location of utilities in coordination with Underground Service Alerts.
· Know and adhere to health and safety standards required by law.
· Collect and dispose of refuse, recycling and organics from homes and businesses when Refuse Division is unavailable.
· Report all accidents, injuries, problems and issues in a timely manner to the Superintendent of Wastewater & Facilities.
· Complete written reports as necessary, or as required, in a timely manner.
· Keep records and logs of activities.
· Know and adhere to District Personnel Policies.
· Initiate solutions to problems and resolve issues.
· Work as a team player. Work where needed.
· Complete assignments.
· Interact cordially with fellow employees, Board members, Commissioners and the public.
· A minimum of 2 years experience as a truck mechanic or 2 years as a plumber. Some experience in pump inspections and sewer main and lateral inspections is preferred. An equivalent combination of the education and experience requirements may suffice to meet or exceed the minimum standard.
· Possession of Valid Class A or B California driver’s license with no moving violations and current on all certificates, or ability to get a Class B license within one year of hire with written permission of the General Manager.
· High school diploma or G.E.D.
· Thorough knowledge of the English language. Ability to communicate well verbally and in writing with the public and fellow employees.
· Ability to interpret maps, follow routes and schedules.
· Ability to follow instructions.
· Ability to speak clearly and distinctly over a two-way radio.
· Knowledge and capability to safely operate heavy equipment and all vehicles in the District’s fleet.
· Ability to lift, push, pull, twist and maneuver objects of 50-65 pounds (occasionally up to 100 pounds) repeatedly on a daily basis.
· Ability to walk, sit, bend, stoop and climb up and down manholes, trenches and pits.
· Ability to use hand tools, power tools and equipment involved in truck maintenance and repair.
· Ability to perform basic mathematics including addition, subtraction, multiplication and division; and advanced mathematical functions such as calculating averages and percentages.
· Ability to think clearly, thoroughly and objectively.
· Ability to problem solve.
· Ability to assist customers by achieving mutual understanding.
SALARY RANGE $36/HOUR TO $42/HOUR, PLUS BENEFITS. PLEASE SUBMIT A COVER LETTER AND RESUME OR USE THE APPLICATION FORM AVAILABLE ONLINE AT WWW.TAMCSD.ORG – POSITION OPEN UNTIL FILLED PLEASE APPLY IMMEDIATELYEmployment Application.pdf